Procedure Prep Instructions
Over the counter: Miralax
*We do request that you do stop all Aspirins, NSAID'S and Iron supplements.
Know before you go
Old Town Patient Packet
Presbyterian Hospital Packet
Procedure Prep Options
PLEASE CHOOSE ONLY ONE PREP.
New Patient Forms
Thank you for choosing to have your procedure with Dr. John Secor and Digestive Health Associates of Texas. We are honored to be able to participate in your healthcare and will make every attempt to make your experience as pleasant and safe as possible.
• Please follow all of the preparation instructions exactly.
• Bring a photo ID and your insurance card.
• Arrange for someone to drive and pick you up. Cabs, Uber, Lyft and other public transportation are not acceptable. For your safety, you will not be able to drive the remainder of the day following your procedure.
• Wear comfortable, loose clothing and please leave all valuables and jewelry at home.
• You will be at the facility approximately two to three hours from check-in to check out.
Things To Know For All Colonoscopy Preps
• Gatorade, Pedialyte or PowerAde
• Clear broth or bouillon
• Coffee or tea - sugar is okay
• Carbonated and non-carbonated soft drinks
• Kool-Aid or other fruit-flavored drinks
• Strained fruit juices (no pulp) like apple, white grape and white cranberry
• Jell-O, popsicles, Italian ice, and hard candy
Not Clear Liquid
• No red or purple items of any kind
• No alcohol
• No milk or non-dairy creamers
• No noodles or vegetables in soup
• No juice with pulp
• No liquid you cannot see through
All preps begin 5 to 7 days prior to your procedure. It is paramount that you read through all instructions thoroughly. Failure to follow the instructions fully and exactly may result in your procedure being canceled at the facility. We are available to answer any questions you may have regarding preparing for your procedure.
**If you take prescription blood thinners, please call or email me now to discuss this, we will need clearance from your prescribing doctor prior to scheduling as well as a recent progress note.** This includes: Plavix/Clopidogrel, Warfarin/Coumadin, Pradaxa, Xarelto, Eliquis, Effient, Aggrenox, Lovenox, or other heavy blood thinners/heart medication or Aspirins for cardiac events.
7 DAYS BEFORE YOUR COLONOSCOPY: You will need to stop any blood-thinning medication, such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Aleve, Advil, Naproxen, Celebrex, Mobic, Vitamin E, and Fish Oil unless otherwise instructed by your doctor (Tylenol is okay). You will also need to hold iron tablets and fiber supplements.
3 DAYS BEFORE: Stop eating all nuts, seeds, and popcorn items. They can get stuck in your intestines and make the procedure more difficult.
1 DAY BEFORE: No solid foods of any kind may be eaten today, clear liquids only.
DAY OF PROCEDURE: Stop all liquids two hours before your scheduled to arrive at the facility. Do not chew gum or hard candy during this time either. Ingesting liquids or having candy can result in anesthesia canceling your procedure at the facility.
Please read over the individual instructions for the prep you have chosen for specific timing instructions.
7 DAYS BEFORE YOUR ENDOSCOPY: You will need to stop any blood-thinning medication, such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Aleve, Advil, Naproxen, Celebrex, Mobic, Vitamin E, and Fish Oil unless otherwise instructed by your doctor (Tylenol is okay). You will also need to hold iron tablets and fiber supplements.
3 DAYS BEFORE: Stop eating all nuts, seeds and popcorn items. They can get stuck in your intestines and make the procedure more difficult.
8 HOURS BEFORE: stop eating all solid foods and drink only liquids from the approved list above.
Stop all liquids 2 hours before your procedure for anesthesia. Do not chew gum or have hard candy prior to the procedure. Ingesting liquids or having candy can result in anesthesia canceling your procedure at the facility.
You may experience a sore throat after the procedure. Gargle warm salt water up to five times a day or use lozenges to soothe the soreness.